Let's hear it!, and Employees

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Fri, 06 Aug 1999 21:47:35 -0100

Ed et al,

I work in a shop run by an RPT consisting of two independent contractors and a
part-time employee. I fall into the former category, more recently as well as
being a part-time list-lurker; I've been here for three years, and round out the
shop as a luthier and instrument builder on the side.

We run our shop independently adjoining a retail piano gallery. Gene Roe, the
RPT, handles tuning both for our own customers and for the store; repairs,
restoration and rebuilds are delegated among we three remaining roughly in
categories. The p-t employee handles customer maintenance action work, the other
contractor rebuilds for the store and I work on antiques and miscellaneous
projects.

I plan on taking 2 or 3 of the PTG tests next summer, having forced upon myself a
most challenging tuning ordeal (within the "instrument building" category);
however, to date I have not availed myself of many of the resources the Guild
affords including chapter technicals, but I count on attending both the N.E.
Regional and the National Conventions next summer (beware, I can be a bad
student). I do follow the Journal, and what's offered - I'm just picky.

While my training has been <i>doing</i> more often than not, at least for my
purposes the environment can't have been better. I have a critical and (mostly)
working understanding of a lot of the aspects in this field. Add to this a
healthy dose of revisionism coupled to a certain respect for historical practice
(I just plotted an 1844 grand piano scale from R.Harding's The PianoForte, app. D
for a great surprise) - I have developed preference for certain instruments, but
have learned that prejudice mostly can be overcome. Mostly, this list seems to
concur.

I look forward to the D.C. convention.

Yours,

Clark Panaccione