no-shows

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:28:11 EDT

In a message dated 8/6/99 11:33:19 AM Central Daylight Time, dbhersh@home.com
writes:

<< Guess what, she came in and told me she
 thought she was having a heart attack so I called 911 and she did in fact
 have one and survivied. >>

Well, I can't say that I have ever saved anyones life, but I did save
someones house.
A minister's wife that lived in the country called to make a tuning
appointment. She said that no one would be home, but that she would leave the
door open for me. I arrived and started tuning. After about ten minutes I
smelled smoke, looked out into the kitchen which was thick with smoke. A
copper gas line passing between the stove and a wood cabinet had a crack in
it and a six inch flame was shooting out of it right against the cabinet. It
had already burnt a hole and the cabinet was just starting to burn on it's
own. I ran to the sink, poured a glass of water on it and shut off the gas. I
called the fire dept. to be on the safe side and went back to tuning.

The funny thing is is that I never heard from the minister or his wife about
this for the longest time. These are people that I had known most of my life.
You would kind of expect maybe a casual "thanks for keeping my house from
burning to the ground" or something. They did send a check for the tuning
anyway. I also never figured out how leaking gas from a crack in the gas line
could suddenly erupt into flame. Strange deal all around.

Dave