Bass String Scale

Doug Richards Doug.Richards@quantum.com
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:47:22 -0700

Dave,
I've used an MS Excel spreadsheet before for something that needed fractions
and found that you can format the cells to fractions.  Sure there is some
rounding, but less than 1/16...

Just a random thought.
doug richards
San Jose, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: DGPEAKE@AOL.COM [mailto:DGPEAKE@AOL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, August 05, 1999 6:59 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Bass String Scale

jgunderson@monmouth.com writes:

<< Doug, I have been using Mapes also...  which is one of the reasons I want

 send them specific dimensions rather than just a template.  They tend to
leave a
 lot of unwrapped string between the speaking length ends and the wrap.  I
gusee
 they are erring on the side of caution.  Jon Page suggested using GC Piano
for
 new strings.  I don't know where they are located, maybe he can post that
 information for "inquiring minds".

 John Gunderson, North Jersey Chapter

The problem I have with Mapes and many other string makers, is that I send
them the scale data sheet and they insist on making a scale stick.  Then
they
charge more. I like to measure to the within 1 tenth of an inch because it
translates into decimals which computers understand.  If the string maker
would simple use a 1 tenth inch tape measure, he would not need a scale
stick.  One string maker told me they only go to the closet 1/16!  I have
yet
to see a computer that understand that!  What is wrong with using 1/10th?
The tape measure is not hard to get.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR