Plate Leveling

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:40:46 -0400

Hi again,

I had to level a plate yesterday on a grand.  The soundboard is out, and =
a new one in process.  The pinblock is made and fitted.  So I decided =
that now would be a good time to find a nice place for that plate to =
sit.  I couldn't find the right size screws for the plate holes to =
adjust from the top.  So here's what I did.

Where the plate sits on the little dowels, I put in an old capstan, like =
would be in a key.  The type I used had the little holes for the little =
pointy tool instead of the ones that need the little wrench, but it =
didn't matter.  I had taken measurements of where the old dowels were =
before, so that's where I started.  I put them somewhere in that =
vicinity.  (nothing critical).  Stuck in the pinblock, and then the =
plate, screwed the pinblock to the plate (and case), and proceeded to go =
around the case (from underneath) and adjust those little capstans (as =
well as the studs from the beams) until it was all setting all nice and =
level.

Pretty simple, but it worked so easily.  (Wouldn't have worked with the =
soundboard in, but with it out, it worked quite nicely.)  It took about =
2 minutes to subtract the thickness of the soundboard from the =
measurements of the capstan heights, and now I have a nice list of =
exactly how high to make those dowels.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Have a good day!

Brian Trout