no shows

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:40:13 -0500

Thanks for all the replies! The reason I asked is due to a most recent =
experience when I drove 40 miles to perform a warranty tuning, free to =
the "customer". No one home. Later that day, (about 5:15 PM), while =
standing on my head under the kitchen sink trying to install new water =
lines, he called. "Guess we missed you this morning...do you want to try =
again?" I replied in the affirmative and mentioned the little matter of =
a service call fee and mileage which he refused to pay. I could hear his =
wife in the background going ballistic as he suggested that I bill the =
store as if I did the job and he'd "find someone local to do the tuning =
at his expense." I explained to him that HE invited me to his home on =
this day and this time, and that if not for that I would have spent the =
wasted time in my shop making my shop rate. And, I would have started =
earlier in the day, so the bill for the goose chase was only a portion =
of what I lost that day. Being a retired music teacher and friend of the =
store from where he purchased the piano, he called them. In the end I =
billed the store per their request and that was the end of it.

After 15 years in this business I'm pausing to reflect on these =
situations and was 2nd guessing my policy. However after hearing =
plus .30 per mile the 1st 30 miles (RT); then .90 per mile thereafter. =
Those deadbeats who refuse get small claims court for dessert: They =
don't meet the minimum qualifications to become a customer. I AM human - =
if it's a case of "my grandmother died again", well, hey, I can bend, =
but the nozzle of my howitzer will remain pointed on those who =
flippantly display a lack of respect for me and my time.

Roy Ulrich