more player blues

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Thu, 05 Aug 1999 09:14:48 -0500

Ed Carwithen wrote:

> To all, but especially Robert Goodall:
>
> Lots of player pianos in my area.
> A Holland player.  The rolls don't roll correctly; they wind to one side,
> causing the edges to crease and tear.  How do I fix it?
>
> Ed Carwithen

This is a tracking device problem.  This mechanism keeps the roll centered
with the tracker bar so that the holes line up with those on the paper.  If
the paper wanders too far in either direction then the player will transpose
itself up or down a half step.  If it is partially off center then the
openings will be to small when a note plays.  This will cause notes to be
weak, have poor repetition, or some may not play at all.

If the tracking device is out of alignment or otherwise not working correctly
it will pull the paper in the wrong direction, typically to one extreme.
With the roll over so far the edges get frayed.  It is also important that
the tracker system releases into a center position during rewind or it will
often tear the paper to shreds.  There are several different variations of
tracking devices depending on the manufacturer and they must be regulated in
different ways.  Very cheep players may not have a tracker at all, but rather
a manual adjustment wheel that needs to be set each time a roll is played.
They don't work very well but they get by.

The most common type is the double pneumatic variety.  This system has a pair
of pneumatics connected together in teeter-totter style.  They are connected
via a pair of holes on each side of the tracker bar.  As the paper wanders
off one side it uncovers one of the holes and the opposing pneumatic pushes
it back accordingly.  The complicated thing about this system is that there
were two variations in roll widths available in the heyday of player pianos,
one about an eighth of an inch wider than the other.  To overcome this there
are two holes at each end of the tracker, one slightly offset above from the
other.  The inner holes remain covered up with the wider rolls, and thus the
outer holes control the paper position.  With the narrower rolls a pair of
primary valves inside the tracker system sense that both outside holes are
uncovered and therefore bypass them so that the inner holes are the only ones
controlling the system.  If one or more of the tracker holes becomes clogged
with dust, or a valve inside the unit is leaky or not seating properly, or if
there is a leak somewhere inside the tracker's valve chamber, this system
will malfunction.  If the player is properly restored this system works
reliably for decades. It is really a very ingenious system.  Unfortunately if
it is malfunctioning, particularly in an old one, they can be very tricky to
correct.

Another type of tracker was known as the "Fish Pole" system.  This system has
tiny feeler fingers that sense the position of the paper edges.  It works
mechanically rather than pneumatically.  The sensors are connected to long
wires, (hence the name "fish pole", and lead to a tiny clutch wheel at one
end.  Through a series of tiny gears, levers, or whatever particular set up
it has, the clutch will activate another lever to the transmission cam that
controls the roll position.  I rebuilt a player with one of these types years
ago and they work suprisingly well.

There are countless other variations out there, some mechanical and some
pneumatic.  They just need to be analyzed to see how they work.  In any case
keep in mind that this is 1920's technology.  Old players will produce
incredible music and can be a load of fun if properly rebuilt down to the
last screw.  Unfortunately few piano technicians see any like this and thus
they become the victims of hatred.  To learn more I would suggests Art
Reblitz' Player piano book available at most piano supplies.  Art is a great
guy and knows his stuff.  I've corresponded with him on and off through the
years and visited his shop about five years ago.  You would be absolutely
amazed at the kind of wonderful rare music machines that he rebuilds.

Good luck,

Rob Goodale, RPT