"Gluing on" plastic keytops

CDeets@AOL.COM CDeets@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 10:15:02 EDT

In a message dated 8/4/99 7:27:15 PM Central Daylight Time, Billbrpt@aol.com
writes:

<< If you regularly do what I am about to make a point of,
 then I apologize in advance for assuming that these very important items are
 being overlooked.

 Many people, technicians and piano owners alike look at their old, irregular
 keyboard with ivory pieces missing and see those bright, shiny new
preshaped,
 molded keytops and assume that it would be a simple task to "recap" the old
 keys.  But there are two dimensional differences between the preshaped
 keytops and the original ivory which also must be accounted for in order to
 have a keyboard that is playable when you finish. >>

No apology needed Bill.  I have invested in all of the necessary equipment to
do a professional key replacement job.  Jig for tops and front, router, etc.
I compensate for the different thickness of the plastic tops, and I spend
considerable time hand filing each key.  I don't mean to be self-promoting,
but wanted to ensure that I was not doing a hack job.

Craig Deets, associate member
Chicago Chapter