Let's hear it!response & question

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:58:33 EDT

In a message dated 8/05/1999 8:56:41 AM, pno2nr1@juno.com writes:

<< When is it okay
to bring along one's diminuitive responsibilities?
Kris Anderson, RPT >>

Kris;
  I am afraid the correct answer here is, in my opinion,............. Never.
  I am well aware of all the trials and challenges of having small ones at
home, a job to do outside, and no one available to watch the kinders.  The
issue here though, in my opinion, is 'how' we wish to be seen. Do we wish to
be seen as professionals or as hobbyists who do piano things when it is
convenient?
  In a home where there are two working parents, or just a single parent,
this decision is constantly having to be made.  Thank goodness my youngest is
24 and I don't have this problem to work out anymore :-) But I have been
there and so have most of the rest of us at one time or the other, I would
guess.
  There will be times when it will be absolutely needful to either
cancel/reschedule an appointment or take the child(ren) along. 'If' you find
yourself in this situation.....what I did on those  occasions where I had the
choice to make...was to call the appointment, explain the situation, and
allow them to reschedule or say that it was OK to bring the child.  I never
liked doing this though, and thought then that it was very unprofessional and
I still think so.  But when that tuning/repair fee makes the difference
between paying the mortgage and/or putting food on the table .........what
does one do??
  A number of years back we had a tuner show up, wanting work in town. We had
him tune a couple of pianos in the store and he proved to be an excellent
tuner. As I walked out to the car with him, while discussing when and how we
could use him, I discovered that his entire family, wife and two children,
had been sitting in the car waiting for him to finish.  I thought nothing
about this after mentioning it to de big boss:-)............until we started
getting phone calls from customers not really complaining, but concerned,
about the tuner who left his children in the car while working in their
house. We felt that whatever the reason that it was temporary and would soon
stop when the couple got settled down.......well it never stopped and even
started to get worse, as far as number of calls we were getting when the
weather starting getter warmer/hotter.  I spoke with him about this matter
and he said he did it because he didn't want to 'waste' the money on day
care. I suppose that knowing that he was making a 'very' good amount just
from the store with most of the work being outside tunings and that he always
had floor stock to work on to fill any voids in outside service. I got
piqued.  The decision to let him go was a joint one made only when the
stores' image was starting to suffer and when he refused to make 'any'
arrangements for his children other than to sit in the car, even to the point
of having his wife quit her job and sit in the car with them.  I have always
had the nagging thought that there was a heck of a lot of stuff going on here
that we did not know about :-(
  I suppose that this situation plus my own experience with my own boys has
shaped my opinion of when it is OK to take the child(ren).................
Never.

   But when it MUST be done allow the customer the option to OK it or to
reschedule.
 You will be surprised at how understanding our customers are, at least on
the first occasion.
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)