bass string design

John Gunderson jgunderson@monmouth.com
Wed, 04 Aug 1999 23:32:45 -0400

Del,  oddly enough I tuned an identical piano today.  It was the same make and
there was a difference of less than 1000 between the serial #'s.  The scales
and plate markings were the same.  This other piano had already been restrung.
The bass strings were not like the original set I removed from my piano, my
piano having 12 double wrapped strings the other piano having only 8 double
wrapped string.  I took the opportunity to measure those strings.  Would you
believe that A0 had a core of .055" and the O/A diameter was .292".  The lowest
single wrap string (E1) had a core of .051 and an O/A of .200.  Actually, A0
didn't sound bad at all... given the small size of the piano.

John Gunderson, North Jersey Chapter