No-show (form letter included)

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Wed, 04 Aug 1999 19:25:54 -0400

Roy,

I agree that the best way for someone who lives 50 miles away is to do
your level best getting assurance that someone will be home.  I send
reminder cards, and I probably would add a sentence that says something
like, "Please note that there will be a (considerable) charge for time
and travel if I cannot service the piano as scheduled."  But I almost
never work that far from home.

I average one no-show every month or so.  If I arrive promptly, I will
wait fifteen minutes, then leave the following letter, which I keep with
me:

"Dear Client,

When I arrived as scheduled I was unable to gain access to service your
piano.

If there was an unforeseen emergency that prevented you from being home,
please let us know.  We are very understanding, knowing there are
instances when the welfare of a friend or family member takes precedence
over piano service.

If this problem was due to an oversight on your part, we recognize that
all of us make similar mistakes now and then.  Nevertheless, piano
technicians have little more to sell than their time and skills.  A
failed appointment means a significant loss, since it will now take two
appointments to service your piano when payment is received for only
one.  The extra time from the failed appointment can rarely be used
profitably.

We have developed the following policy if the second instance is the
case.  We are willing to absorb the loss for the first occurrence.
Should the same happen again, you will be requested to pay half the
normal tuning charge, plus mileage costs if they apply.  Both of us wish
to be treated fairly, and from our viewpoint this policy appears more
than fair.

Please call if you would like to schedule another appointment.  Thank
you for understanding."

When I was getting started and needed the work I would call THEM.  Now,
if they don't call, I lose the customer, but there are others on the
waiting list.  This letter is not copyrighted; you are free to use or
alter it.  I think I posted this once before; I would be glad to know if
it was helpful to anyone.  You can email me privately.  Thanks!  :-)

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger