Employees

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 18:45:32 EDT

In a message dated 8/1/99 10:11:55 PM !!!First Boot!!!, ANRPiano@aol.com
writes:

<< As my shop work has grown I have hired people to fill whatever my needs
were
 there, but I no longer have the time to adequately service even a fraction
of
 my tuning customers.  I don't want to lose contact with all these people
 because they are a great source of work for the shop.  I have been
 considering hiring a full time tuner for quite some time but cannot figure
 out a compensation package.  Should I pay them a straight hourly rate or a
 commission or combination?  What kind of commission should I pay taking into
 consideration the cost of scheduling, advertising, insurance, taxes, good
 will, the risk of losing a customer?

  I have never been involved in such a situation nor have I ever talked to
 anyone who has and have really no idea what to do.  I would appreciate any
 input.

 Andrew Remillard >>

Andrew:

There are two ways you can go on this. Hire a tech to work in the shop, so
that you can continue serving the customers. Or hire someone to start doing
the tunings, so that you can spend more time in the shop. So you need to ask
yourself this question. What is more important, keeping in touch with your
customers, who keep sending you shop work, or getting the work done in the
shop, while someone else is working your customers?

Personally, I want to be out there working my customers, and have a tech
working in the shop.  If you have too many tuning customers, hire a third
person part time to handle the overload, but pick and chose which customers
you want that person to tune for.

For the shop technician, I pay anywhere from $10 - $15 per hour, depending on
experience. The tech who are looking for work who want to spend all of their
time in the shop are probably not as experienced as you. So you do have to
plan on spending some time teaching them. As they get more experienced, they
can do more and more on their own, and thus should be compensated
accordingly.

For field tuners, there are two ways you can do this. Give them half of your
tuning fee, plus mileage. Or 60% of the tuning fee, and they pay their own
mileage.  You want to control who they tune. You also want to make sure they
do not keep the customers you give them. Although there is no way you can
keep them from taking your customers, you should be able to trust the person
you hire to keep it that way.

Willem Blees