Need a Technician in MN.

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 09:59:24 -0500

Kit,

This would be 1886. That's pretty old. Steinway made 52"-52 3/4" pianos then
(5 sizes total).  I own a model K (52") for my personal piano that I will be
working on.  I believe Wally Brooks sells Tokiwa parts that may fit yours,
I do not think Renner makes a match (at least there aren't any in my parts
kit from them). Your piano would be a model "F" if the age/size estimation
is correct. They do usually have double flanges that work the damper and
whippen.  Traveling is done differently, etc.  Good luck with it, but look
at the action parts and general condition closely before buying. Mine has
verdigris throughout.  They are usually worth $0 - $2,000 when needing
restoration.  I may buy another model K offered at $500.00 in a couple of
weeks.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Kit Cleworth
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 1999 7:30 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Need a Technician in MN.

I need a technician in or near Albert Lea, Minnesota to look at a piano
that the owner is trying to sell me.  Names, email addresses and/or phone
numbers would be helpful.

The owner tells me it is a 113 year old 52" Steinway upright.  He tells me
the action needs an overhaul.  As a technician I've "overhauled" a number
of pianos but have no experience with a Steinway of this vintage.  Anything
I should know that might influence my purchase of this piano?

Thanks for your help
Kit Cleworth