Tight and Squeaky Tuning Pins

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 11:52:37 -0500

Howdy,

I just finished stringing a Kawai upright.  Before starting
I always try a few preliminary tests.  My test indicated
that 4/0 pins would do very nicely.  Slightly tight but not
excessive, (I would rather see slightly tight pins than
marginally tight since this will ensure long lasting
tunability over the years).  I did not ream the holes, as my
experience in doing this has not been favorable.  Having
completed the stringing I am now finding that the pins are
excessively tight, tighter than my pre stringing tests.
They are also very jumpy and squeaky.  I have strung many
pianos and have always had excellent results, even on my
first piano.  This is the first time I have experienced this
kind of result.  The piano is tunable but not anywhere near
as friendly as it should be.

Has anyone discovered a way of improving this condition?
Obviously an impact hammer might be helpful in tuning but
that is not my question.  I was thinking last night, I
wonder if heating the pins might reduce the friction a
little, kind of like heating a tight center pin.  Not enough
to char the wood mind you, but perhaps it would ease the
holes a little.  Of course this might polish the inside of
the holes too and make things worse.  What do you think, any
ideas?

I eagerly await your thoughts ;-)

thanks,

Rob Goodale, RPT