CA Glue & Cracked Pin Block

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:18:38 EDT

In a message dated 4/29/99 7:22:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
musicbydavid@yahoo.com writes:

<<
 I suspect a cracked pin block on a piano I'll be
 repairing on Friday.  (About five pins in a line which
 are extremely loose)  I was told by another technician
 to use CA glue for the repair.  I ordered the CA Glue
 kit, but the examples of uses doesn't specifically
 refer to repairing a cracked pin block.

If it is, in fact, a badly split pinblock, I doubt if a CA fix would do  much
good.  However, I would recommend your applying the "fix" perhaps using
medium viscosity CA in the areas that are bad.  If it does work, all well and
good- if not, you have only lost a few bucks and gained some valuable
experience.  Winter pianos are really not worth going much further-such as
replacing the pinblock.  This "advice", along with others that I am sure you
will get, should help.  Isn't this List wonderful?

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills, Ohio