dancing dampers

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 18:03:42

Hi Brenda,
          CA glue in this area is a definite NO, NO!!!! Some other poor
tech may have to follow you.
To tighten the screw really securely, use a pair of pliers, once tight you
will probabily notice that the damper head will twist as it comes off the
string, firmly grip the damper wire (where it leaves the underlever) with
the pliers and twist untill the damper head comes off, and returns to the
wire cleanly.
The Zimmerman's that I have come across have a loose fitting brass collar
that tends to bend the wire, so you may need to remove the damper
completely and straighten the piece that fits into the under lever.
I like to be able to raise the under lever with the screw loose and have it
drop back to the damper tray under it's own weight before tightening, this
seems to lessen the amount of twisting, plus it tells you that the wire is
vertical. Incorrect bends further up the wire will prevent this from
happening.
Clear as mud without a drawing.
Good luck, and it's nice to see you are participating.
Regards Roger

At 01:31 PM 4/27/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I've been a quiet lurker since last December.  I have enjoyed following
>the discussions and have gotten some great  ideas from the group,
>thanks.
>
>Wondering if anyone might have a suggestion for a recurring problem
>which I've been having with a small, fairly new, Zimmerman grand.
>Several times now, I have adjusted the dampers.  I have determined the
>proper length, and alignment of the damper lever wire and 'carefully'
>tightened the screws so as not to let things 'move' out of alignment.
>I've tried to leave the screws tight.  When I return they are loose!
>Either the heads are  twisted or the damper wire has slipped or both.
>One thing I was thinking about trying is to regulate them yet again, and
>then put a tiny dab of thick CA glue where the damper lever wire goes
>into the damper lift flange.  Could it hurt?  I'm open to suggestions.
>
>                                            Thanks,
>                                            Brenda  Mamer, RPT
>                                            [up north] Merrill, WI

Roger Jolly