Serious q., lightly asked

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:49:22 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/1999 8:52:06 PM, Bob wrote:

<<"he replied. Can anyone tell me the origin of the term
_console_, referring to a 40-43" vertical piano?">>

Bob;
 Console, the verb,  means to "allay sorrow", while that might fit in terms
of being sorry they can't afford the grand they would really like to have, I
don't think that is the right answer. :-)

 Console, the noun, means a small free standing cabinet.  Also the cabinet
that contains the pedals/stops/keyboard, for an organ, is called collectively
the console......probably the answer is here as a mixture of the two
meanings...but that is just a SiWAG.
Jim Bryant (FL)