American Histury Tuning

Ola Andersson o-anders@online.no
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:47:46 +0000

Good Morning and a happy new day. Forget the sorrows of yesterday.

I been thinking and Iīm might be wrong but...

...my saxofon player showed me a piano yesterday and said that this
sounds good, he said he always thought it was something wrong with his
altosaxofon but now itīs sounds right. I tried the piano and said it
needs tuning. It was tuned, but in reversewell. I said I read itīs
wrong, but he said I donīt care what itīs called it still sounds good.
OK we tried some standards and found out it worked.

My thought is now maybe it isnīt wrong maybe itīs supposed to be like
that.
Maybe we are talking about American History  Tuning, or more correct
Afro American History Tuning. I mean Afroamerican culture have changed
the history of music doing things reverse. I give you some examples.

Mouth harp: You get the root with inblow instead of out blow like for
eksample Oh Susanna wich is "correct"

Back beat: Hand clap on 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3 wich is "correct"

Dominant chord progression: The last three chords in a blues is In C
Major
F7 to C7 to G7 Instead of G7 to C7 to F7 wich is "correct"

I Belieave that Reversed well is not wrong, I think it belongs to the
American History of Music. I read on the list that almost everybody
tunes reversed in the states  and maybe it supposed to be like that.
Maybe we should send it to the Smithsonian institute. Is that the right
place? When costumer say that this is wrong itīs reversedwell we can
tell them "I know but it isnīt wrong itīs an American History Tuning
AHT, and be happy because you get to the same price as a regular
tuning".

What shall we call the child. I call it  "the BB tuning" Why?
BB stands for BeBop, BigBand and Black is Beutiful, the last can have a
double meaning, keys and colour of people. Any more suggestions?

I now also white americans have done itīs impact on the world of music.
Iīm now thinking about John Cage and his piano.

But I could be wrong.

Sincerly
Ola Andersson