PTG Technical Exam action models

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:10:45 -0500 (CDT)

>This is done all the time but you don't really hear about it because it is of
>no real consequence.  Master Tunings are compared at the end of the Annual
>Convention sessions.  Since there is always a tolerance from absolute values,
>you see small variations in the figures that each group comes up with but
>virtually none of them consitute any kind of "error".

* I didn't use the term "error", I used the term "divergence". I chose the
wording because "divergence" has no negative connotations. I see no valid
reason for you to edit my wording to introduce them.

>Having three different groups of technicians produce a Master tuning woulld
>result in three identically sounding tunings.  There would not be much point
>in doing that.

* To get a look at the numbers and learn the practical tolerance in
producing the master tuning on any individual piano. That's the point. The
test isn't scored on the overall sound of the tuning, so how the piano
sounds with each different master tuning on a given piano certainly wouldn't
matter, at least not to me. I was curious about the numbers and the
reproducability of a master tuning my the teams that produce them in the
first place. If this is done so often and this information is already at
hand, perhaps we could get a comparison of the two master tunings (out of
three or more) on the same piano at maximum divergence from each other
posted on the list? That would answer the question easily enough without
having to waste nine people's time.

>Now, please don't read all kinds of offensive things into what I have just
>said and demand that I be thrown off this List, out of PTG and off the
>planet, for that matter.  It isn't going to happen.  Just accept the fact
>that maybe I sometimes might know what I'm talking about or I might not spend
>so much time doing it, just as I would expect you and anyone who posts an
>answer to a question to be providing information, not judgmental opinions or
>character assasinations.
>
>We need more frank and to-the-point answers to questions and less posturing
>and demeaning quips.
>
>Bill Bremmer RPT
>Madison, Wisconsin

* The only thing you did here that I took exception to was introducing the
word "error", which I corrected. I am not providing information here, I am
requesting it. You may take offense, or not, as you see fit, but I have not.

 Ron