Fire/smoke damage

Mon, 12 Apr 1999 07:47:27 -0400

I agree with Mark.  Whenever possible, I give an "initial" assessment of
the damage, to be followed by a complete assessment 2-3 months later.  In
many cases ALL of the steel parts were coated with surface rust and the
pianos needed restrung and new dampers, for starters.  Some showed no
rust at all, and those pianos needed very little other than cleaning up.

It's not a convenient method, to be sure, but increases the odds of
addressing the real damage.  Besides, what's a couple months in the life
of a piano?

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com