Petrof & Renner actions

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:24:25 EDT

Julie:

The big problem I have had with Petrof is the setup of the actions.  All
kinds of problems with excessive touchweight due to heavy hammers, improper
use of lead, key ratio and parts alignment problems.   These problems can and
do occur when Petrof uses anyone's actions.  Renner builds the parts, but
Petrof is responsible for the proper setup of the parts.

One incredible sounding Petrof I serviced used wippen helper springs in the
bass, and lead in the treble!   Had about an 80 gram downweight when I found
it....Petrof's  high strikeweight is overkill.  If you want the piano for a
large hall and like the big sound, be sure it does not have 80 grams
downweight first.  You can only fix so much with "balance weight."

If the Petrof dealer is aware of these problems and makes sure they are
corrected, the piano can be wonderful.   I always tell my clients to make
sure the tech checks out the piano - especially the action - first.
Sometimes pianists are so enamored with the sound that they overlook the
cumbersomeness of the action - until they have bought the piano.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University
Loma Linda, CA