Dampp-Chaser string

Mark Bolsius markbolsius@optusnet.com.au
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 20:20:47 +1000

Hi JIm, Deb and list,
I've been following the Dampp-Chaser thread with some interest (as the
Australian Distributor). To answer your point about the system switching in
at odd times......the system is never actually off at any time, it switches
from humidifying (up to 50%) to dehumidifying (down to 38%) and back. This
is more reliable, efficient and produces best test results. If it switched
on and off it would be very prone to short cycling (on and off again in very
short bursts) electrically this is not good and doesn't make for good
reliable mechanisms over the long term.
In climatic conditions that are dry the dehumidifying cycle tends to be very
short with longer humidifying cycles and vice versa. Many techs make this
mistake, particularly when the customer questions why the system is in the
"wrong" cycle for the prevailing conditions  ie the rod is on and it's 90
degrees F and 25%RH. It's just doing it's job getting the system back
towards the _average_  42% the system is aiming for.

A similar misunderstanding-type problem can develop when there is not
sufficient dehumidifying power in the system. A system with a 25watt or
worse a 15watt rod to keep the piano (vertical) under control in an
environment that gets to over 80% RH is asking for trouble. The system never
switches over, and customers with a new system are constantly checking to
see if it has switched over (notice that I never say it switches off?)
The rule of thumb in an upright (vertical) is that you need 1 watt of power
to reduce the RH by 1%. So if you want the system to cope with an
environment that gets over 80% RH you need a rod that is more than 35 watts.

The lesson here is .......Don't generalise! Take a Hygrometer and see what
is actually happening in this customer's very specific and sometimes unique
situation!

I must ask Bob or Gayle Mair if there is a similar rule for grands. Does
anyone else know?

The underside covers that are being developed at the moment sound pretty
cool (sorry pun was irresistible) too. The grands will be far less prone to
drafts and heating ducts etc. Keep an eye out for them.

Hope I've been clear enough.....it's getting late here.
Goodnight
Mark Bolsius
Canberra Australia

Jim Harvey wrote......

Case #3 - complete CC system: My piano, my living room in Pasadena. I
installed the system to see the results for myself. In addition to the
low-water light (all there was at the time), I added an additional box
under the keybed with two indicator lights. One was wired to the
humidifier, the other to the dehumidifier. Since one or the other would
always be on, I always had visual verification that the system was plugged
in. Two interesting observations came from this experiment:

- during Santa Ana conditions, I had to fill the water reservoir once a
week. I could understand this in a grand, but this was a console piano.
- at other times, I noticed the humidifier (and light) would come on during
strange times, like 2:00am when things were calm and cool. I asked (Allen
Foote at the time) about this. He suggested that, like a frying pan, the
plate was warming up during the day. At night, the plate was returning that
collected heat back into the piano. This in turn had a drying effect (mini
Santa Ana) inside the piano, so the humidifier portion kicked in.

I don't really know if the last example represents what's actually
happening. Regardless, I came to trust the Humidistat to know what it was
doing -- whether when or why.

Sorry I couldn't answer your questions. I'd almost bet DC has some
statistics on "out-of-control" heater rods -- they have stats on just about
everything. Now, get back to your reports! <g>

At 10:28 PM 4/6/99 -0400, you wrote:

><< Invariably, the  client has moved from a location that this installation

>actually worked! In  some cases, the piano could possibly have used a
higher
>wattage unit or
> multiple rods... still without the need for a Humidistat. >>
>
>Hi, Jim:
>
>Couldn't resist responding to this - although it may not be my best way to
>jump back into the fray during a short break from making reports to my
>schools.  I still have a hard time with a Dampp-Chaser (Dampp-Chaser,
>Dampp-Chaser - practice makes perfect) humidifier without a humidistat.  A
>few times that I serviced pianos right after they came from Hawaii to So.
>Calif., when they had little time to dry out - and they were already dried
>out!  Loose pins, actions, etc etc.
>
>Still, you have seen a lot more of these situations than me - still in
place
>in a humid climate.  What do you speculate the average RH is inside a
>vertical piano with a heater bar ( always on?
>
>Bill Shull
>University of Redlands, La Sierra University
>BDShull@aol.com

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
  Redmond, WA -- Microsoft announced today that the
  official release date for the new operating system
  "Windows 2000" will be delayed until the second
  quarter of 1901.  -From Penny Pennington (p2)