jazz tuning

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 17:47:22 EDT

In a message dated 4/4/99 3:21:48 PM Central Daylight Time, lesbart@juno.com
writes:

<< We had a trumpeter at our Easter church thing, used to be first trumpet
 for Buddy Rich, and several years as first for Stan Kenton- the list of
 what he's done is extensive. TV- Movies-   all that kind of stuff.
 Anyhoooo  I asked him about temperaments.

 "I don't care. Get me somewhere near A-440. That's all I care
 about.".....................
 les bartlett
 houston >>

You wouldn't necessarily expect a trumpet player to know anything specific
about keyboard tuning.

Give him the same choice as you would give virtually anybody:

A.  Standard Equal Temperament

B.  Meantone

C.  Historical Temperament

D.  Pythagorean Tuning

E.  Werkmeister

F.  Kirnburger

G.  Thomas Young

H.  Victorian

I.    Marpurg-Niedhart Composite Quasi Equal Temperament

J.   Valotti/Fairchild 1/6 Ditonic Comma Meantone/Well-Tempered Tuning

K.  1/11 Syntonic Comma Meantone Temperament
      (actually, the same thing as "A.  Standard Equal Temperament"
       but we never give that secret to the public).

L. to infinity:  Anything but "A.  Standard Equal Temperament".

Which one do you suppose the person you are consulting will choose?

I'd bet on "A.  Standard Equal Temperament", 99 44/100% of the time.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin