jazz tuning

Sun, 4 Apr 1999 17:28:40 -0400

Les -

Yes!  I took jazz piano privately a few years back from a well-known jazz
arranger.  He has written university level textbooks on jazz and
arranging - has arranged for all types of ensembles for groups as diverse
as the Turtle Island Quartet to high school marching bands.   Been doin'
it for over 40 years.  In his "music room" he has THE LOUSIEST Kimball
Whitney spinet you can imagine, and a "sound system" that looked like a
$2 find at a garage sale.  I asked him about it, and he said (pointing to
the room in general) "it's not as important what it sounds like in here.
What counts is what it sounds like (pointing to his head) in HERE!"

There are a lot of realities!

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com