Jazz tuning style? ET, of course

Doug B Hershberger doug.hershberger@gte.net
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 08:57:23 -0800

Hi List,
   I've been following the posts about historical temperaments with great
interest. I used to be convinced that ET was the one and only. I can't get
the thought out of the back of my mind what Owen J. suggested. I'm
paraphrasing, but I think he said, playing Bach's Well-Tempered Klavier in
ET is ridiculous because it was used to describe the different tone color
changes as one modulated through the different key signatures.

This got me to thinking, why would a jazz player want it any differently?
If anything I would think they would want more tone color, more tension
etc...

I also think most musicians think very little about temperament and some of
the other things we talk about ad infinitum. They are to busy trying to
learn a new piece, new technique, make a living or whatever.

It is so easy to tune some of these temperaments with the Accu-tuner it is
very easy to try a HT for yourself. This list is great because we encourage
each other to try differnt things. I think the real challenge is to try
tuning some of the HT's by ear and it will also make you a better ET tuner
at the same time.

Enough of my ramblings,
Doug Hershberger, RPT
ALiso Viejo, CA