lexan or plexiglass for soundboards?

AndyTTaylr@AOL.COM AndyTTaylr@AOL.COM
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 01:34:52 EST

Hi
I have wondered about this for several years, I wonder if a synthetic material
be used to replace spruce soundboards and has anyone in the group experimented
with soundboards?

Lexan(I am not sure if I spelled that correctly) is used in high power speaker
boxes. It looks sort of like Plexiglas. It seems to be very responsive as far
as amplification and vibration goes.

I was thinking that an experiment could be made with a cheap old upright that
has a solid piano action, By tearing it down, Gluing the ribs to a 1/4" sheet
of lexan (or similar material) forcing crown into the material, installing the
bridges & restring the old piano and finding out how loud the tone would be. I
certainly think it would not suffer cracks like the old spruce does.

 Who knows........ it might be very loud and sweet or it might be completely
dead!

Also I would like a source for ABS plastic hammer butts. I have heard about
them and would like to try a set on a player piano to see how well they would
hold up in a high stress situation.

I would appreciate your thoughts.
Andy Taylor