Pricing fixing

PDtek@AOL.COM PDtek@AOL.COM
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 00:45:31 EST

>  What in the world would be wrong for two tuners to get together for
>   lunch and discuss tuning prices?  Is this now a crime?  I'm not the
>   smartest guy in the world, but please tell me what is wrong with this?
>   Is this America we live in?

>Carrying this concept to it's next logical step, there should be nothing
wrong
>with disussing prices in this forum since it is basically an electronic
"lunch
>date" or koffee klatch.  This in spite of the folks who keep telling us not
>to.

>Dick Day

I got the following from the HTML Writers Guild FAQs page. On doing a little
searching around the net, I see alot of stuff like this. Who is right? I don't
know. -

[ Is it illegal to discuss pricing?
The short answer: YES (at least in the U.S. where many of our members are).

The U.S. law specifically makes discussion of pricing between competitors (all
or some) a federal offense. According to either Marshall Kragen or Lewis Rose
(both practicing lawyers), several brokers in DC were successfully prosecuted
for simply discussing an increase of fees at a dinner meeting.

When, where, or how doesn't matter. Any discussion of pricing by a group of
people within the same industry is illegal in the U.S. The feds call it price
fixing. ]

Dave