Need a spring rail for a 20 year old Sohmer 45" piano

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 02:35:23 -0600

 Hi Jim,
            A simple way of doing this job is to thread all 70 ao so
springs on to some cheap Radio Shack wire, fit the ends through the rail
hole, pull the wire ( radio shack)taut and tape down both ends.
I use hot hide glue to secure the ends when bent into the slot. trim and
reinstall new felt. Factory perfect every time.
Just a slight variation.
Regards Roger

At 10:31 PM 25/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi John:
>
>You are not likely to find a spare spring rail for a 20 year old piano.
>Only the action company would have them and Pratt Read has gone thru so
>many changes since then (now PrattWin) that you probably cannot find one.
>
>Removing the rail and replacing all of the springs is not a difficult job.
>Someone within the past year wrote up the procedure for this email list.
>A round toothpick can be used to keep the coils pointed the same direction
>while you press the short ends into the grooves of the rail. Gluing new
>nameboard felt over the new wire filled grooves insures the springs
>remaining in place.
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
>On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, John Baird wrote:
>
>> Forwarded request for help from Jon Laird:
>>
>> "I need a spring rail for a 20 year old Sohmer 45" piano.   The springs
>> are
>> falling off the rail like so many Pratt Read spring rails of the time.
>> Most
>> of the other pianos I have encountered with this problem seem to get by
>> without replacing the rail at all but this Sohmer needs the rail.  I am
>> not
>> looking at the number right now, but I do have the phone number that was
>>
>> listed in an article  in the Journal last year.  After many trys, I gave
>> up
>> trying to make that connection.   Do you know of any other sources?
>>
>> jon laird        E-mail =   JJLaird@AOL.com"
>>
>> John Baird

Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre