Pitch raises

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 11:22:24 -0500

Pitch raising takes energy, time, knowledge and skill.

These are my stocks in trade.

For me energy is the problem so I don't want to do ANYTHING for which I
am not being compensated.

A-440 is the standard I strive for except in the summer when I will
accept higher.

Pianos will return 25% of the amount changed, up or down, so compensate
for that fact (but no more than 40 cents, especially for an older
piano), work quickly and steadily and the job will be done.

If one, two or three tunings is what it takes to stabilize the piano at
449 that is what it should get right then, not later.  What is involved
is compression of the plate so stability is only a matter of getting the
stress on the plate.  Coming back later is a waste of time, tuners and
customers, and resources, tuners and customers.  Do it now, do it right
and the customer gets a finely tuned piano that is stable and playable.

As Gina said, we DO have standards and ethics.

                    Newton