pitch raises.

james turner JTTUNER@webtv.net
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:15:15 -0500 (EST)

We should all remember that when a customer hires us to tune and work on
their piano, we should do what they ask (within reason).  It is their
money and they have the right to spend it anyway they want.  I like to
eat, so I don't get to fussy with customers.  If they don't do what I
think should be done, I leave a note in the piano with my suggestions so
the next piano tuner won't think I didn't do a good job.  You can also
give the customer a written suggestion.

I usually do a PR and rough tuning in one sitting.  I then go back a
week or two later for a fine tuning.  I have done it this way for years
and never have any problems.

I then tell the customer it wouldn't be a bad idea if the piano is tuned
again in 6 months, then try and keep it tuned thereafter at least once a
year.  I tell them if they have a really keen ear, then they might want
to have it tuned twice a year.

I try to educate and not get pushy.  I have a hard enough time getting
people to keep their pianos tuned once a year, so I never push beyond
this unless I deal with a eager beaver.

I do like to raise the pitch on all pianos to A-440 because some pianos
are awfully dull when the pitch is quite low.  Do some of you others
agree with this?  Doesn't raising the pitch make for a better tone?

Jim Turner