PTG standards for pitch raises.

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 23:40:51 -0700

Victor: from Sy Zabrocki
You state you don't post often on the list. Maybe you should. Your
paragraph on this topic makes more sense than all others in the last few
days, IMHO. You state you can raise 50 cents and finish in one hour and ten
minutes. I'll even do better than that. I'll raise 100 cents in 1½ hours
and so can you Victor. Then tell them to have it tuned again in 6 months.

Some say go back in a month. So what if the average family piano has
settled 5 cents. Are we going to max out some struggling family's budget
for 5 cents. I couldn't sleep  if I were charging all these exorbitant
double and triple fees. Do we want to contribute to them quiting piano
lessons?

Are there experienced tuners who are just slow? Can't most do a rough pull
in 15 minutes? Maybe that's why I can't figure why all the fuss about pitch
raising.

Punish your client if you want but let me tell you who will ultimately be
punished. YOU!  I'm not going to explain that if you can't figure it out.
You can holler, scream, teach, bitch, moan, preach, explain etc. and people
still neglect their pianos. In 40 years I've not seen that condition
change. So live with it, it comes with the territory. This is how I operate
and I've got the repeat business to prove it.

Pitching raising takes a little longer and charge a reasonable fee for it.
Even double fee it too much in my book. Many tunings are so easy I find
myself putting on the brakes so I don't get done too early. It works both
ways.

I've been loyal to PTG since 1964. If they ever tell me to charge double
and triple fees I'll drop membership in a heart beat. In my opinion level
heads float to the top at PTG and they won't do that. It would be nice if
there was some guideline to follow. It's obvious nobody could probably
agree anyway judging from the wide range of opinion posted on this list.

Thanks again Victor for your paragraph which motivated me to support you.

Sy Zabrocki--RPT