PTG standards for pitch raises.

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 22:29:13 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Victor Belanger <vbela@MIT.EDU>

>I don't say a whole lot on this site but I have a few thoughts on this one.
>I don't charge pitch raises on a piano unless it is 50 cents flat.
>I find it very hard to make extra money on something that takes me 15 to 20
>minutes and still finish the tuning at the latest one hour and ten minutes.
>Being in the north eastern climate, and tuning a piano every six months I
>would be charging pitch raises and lowerings every time! How do you explain
>that one to the customer. Gee your piano is 25 to 30 cents flat or sharp. I
>guess I have to charge you extra for a pitch raise.
>
>Where's the cut-off break?
>
>Victor Belanger

What is your hourly rate?  So you work for free for a half hour?  Putting
the hammer on two hundred thirty something tuning pins and turning a
certain, calculated amount, amounts to work.  You should be charging
something for it.

I charge $30 and I also use the 8 to 10 cent mark.  Otherwise, you cannot
get a good fine, stable tuning on the thing and then YOU look bad - or else
you end up spending too much time on the single tuning attempt.

People don't mind paying for work they just want value for their money and
fear getting ripped off.  I always feel funny explaining pitch raises . . .
reminds me of how I felt when the transmission guy started talking about the
fulcrum valve oscillator contacting the borgmeister vent.

Glenn.