CA Glue & Tuning Pins

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:13:20 -0600

Dear GLORIOUS CHICAGO CHAPTER MEMBER,

We recently had a discussion on this, you may want to look in the archives.
 Also, I believe it was Steve Brady that indicated to me that this would be
a topic discussed in an upcoming Journal (TT&T).
I have used the thin superglue several times (20?) and have had great long
term results with it.  I have never measured the ips.  I use the technique
on a piano that is in need of restringing and for whatever reason will not
get it any time soon.  I have also restrung pianos and found a couple of
pins looser than others and have used it to even out the feel.  Again, look
through the archives for other opinions.
I don't think brand matters.  ?   Fresh (still thin).  Amount depends on
how loose.  I think it would be hard to apply too much, but I'm sure
someone will find a way.  You have to really get crazy.  I estimate that I
apply 5-10 drops per pin depending on what is needed.  No bushings work
better.  I've applied it to uprights still on their feet-it wicks in pretty
good.  It only takes a couple of minutes.  Next time you see one of these,
apply 6-10 drops, tune another section and then go back to it and check it.
 Ideally you would wait overnight, but I never have.  A few drops where
needed, 15 minutes, tune.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.