Yamaha Little Red Schoolhouse (longish but goodish)

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:06:44 -0600

First we had a closed book written test on the 37 steps.  I won't give the
details, I want you to suffer the way we did.  I think all of us (from what
was said) did poorly, we were not prepared.  Then Friday we regulated about
2 1/2 octaves with the book.  Two of us aced that one, but some of it is so
different from what I normally do it is difficult to decide what is "right"
for that piano and what they think is "right".  For instance, I usually set
rep springs (most of us do/did) much looser than Yamaha specifies.  Also, I
always set more dip than they do.  BUT, we learned WHY and it was PROVEN to
us and it finally began to make sense.  WE also practiced/learned how to
"feel" after-touch, drop, let-off, etc.  In all that we did we discussed
application in the field, other brands sometimes, and older, not-so-new
piano application.  No one wants to only learn how to do something on a
brand new nearly perfect piano on the sales floor.

We also did a little hands-on MIDI Piano stuff.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net