Too much of a good thing

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:48:54 -0400

Clyde, et all

I reached this same point eight years ago,  I used a mixture of all your
points bellow,

I rised prices for new customers, and poorly rated customers. Good old
customers had from zero to a moderate increase depending on personal rating
also.
I took full advantage of my computer, and organized all my clients by a
number which included a rating, and I left always a daily 3 hour period open
so I could fill it up with last minute interesting calls or a VIP from my
waiting list, I let know the rest of the people how long they have to wait
before my visit, Extreme emergencies go to the reserved hours with an
overcharge.
And for who can not wait I worked out a scheeme with a colleague of mine to
cover for me when he can.

Elian Degen
Piano Tuner and Technician
Caracas, Venezuela  degen@telcel.net.ve
Phone 58-2-748547/ 58-14-9222981 Fax 58-2-748547

>Hi Clyde:
>
>I have restricted my business to a smaller geographic area, namely the
>city limits of Tempe, AZ. This makes my business much more efficient,
>less driving time etc. I no longer call customers, they call me. I do
>a lot of referring to other technicians.
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
>On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Clyde Hollinger wrote:
>
>> Friends:
>>
>> I am certain some of you long ago reached the point where I am now, so I
>> would be interested in your advice.
>>
>> After six years of full-time piano service (and 11-12 years part-time
>> before that) I am swamped with work.  How does one go about reducing a
>> workload?  I am committed to reliable service for my current clients,
>> and I have a waiting list that will probably take me into February, and
>> others keep calling.  I do no advertising except in the phone book.
>>
>> Ideas I have considered:  refuse to go beyond a certain distance; refuse
>> all new clients; stop calling back faithful clients who have old
>> clunkers; become more expensive; there may be others.  When you got too
>> busy, what did you do?  Would you do it the same way again, and if not,
>> how would you do it differently?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Clyde Hollinger, RPT

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...