Broken agraffe

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 07:56:03 -0500

I was considering a helicoil once but instead used Marine-Tex epoxy.
Fortunately, the thread were still good at the bottom of the hole.
I put a mold release on the shank of a drill bit which was the ID of the
threads. I skim-coated the hole and also a light coating on the shank
and placed it in the hole. This filled the area nicely.

Next day, I tapped the drill bit down and removed it. Then with a tap from
underneath, chasing the old threads, cut the new threads in the epoxy.
Inserted the agraffe, strung it up and it is holding.

John McDonald, RPT had mentioned that man'f'rs should cut a slot in the
bottom of the agraffe shank so that a screw driver could remove the
broken shanks from underneath. Not a bad idea.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)