Broken agraffe

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 08:09:16 -0500

OK,  anyone can remove a broken agraffe.  The real question is how does one
remove a broken agraffe with a broken thread extractor in it?

For agraffe removal, I have found the following helpful:
Use a penetrating lubricant first.
Go slowly and carefully no matter what method you choose to employ.
Brass drills more easily than cast iron.
Gentle taps with a hammer can free a thread.
Turning in as well as out may free the thread, and can remove the agraffe
in the opposite direction.
A bigger extractor works better than a smaller one.
If all else fails drill out to the next size and tap.
If the next size is too big, grind the bottom of a replacement agraffe, tap
it and bolt it from the bottom of the plate.
Don't break the agraffe in the first place.

I do think I would stop short of using an acid that eats brass but not iron
(if there is such a thing).

Frank Weston

----------
> From: Rob Stuart-Vail <rob_sv@email.msn.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Broken agraffe
> Date: Tuesday, November 17, 1998 7:09 PM
>
> Hi Oleg,
>
> You've had some good responses, and the one I like best for attempt #1 is
> the reverse thread drill.  These are now available at a lot of good
hardware
> stores.  The one I used recently with great success is a "Drill-Out"
Micro