TL97 back

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 06:43:54 -0600

Maybe what is needed is a discussion list for those using TL97 like the =
CTuners user group to talk about all this.
James Grebe
R.P.T. of the P.T.G
pianoman@inlink.com
Creator of Handsome Hardwood Caster Cups and Practical Piano Peripherals =
in St. Louis, MO
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Rob Kiddell <atonal@telusplanet.net>
    To: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Tuesday, November 17, 1998 10:06 PM
    Subject: Re: TL97
   =20
    > Hello James,
    >=20
    > I use TL97, and I have used it about two years. It's a tremendous =
value
    > for the dollar, and it provides every useful function other VTD's =
provide.=20
    >=20
    >=20
    > A drawback for some is that while other VTD's make the big =
decisions for
    > the tuner, TL97 presents the information and requires the tuner to =
make the
    > decisions. If the tuner does not understand what he is about, he =
will have
    > trouble with TL97; however, the bottom line is that TL97, in the =
hands of a
    > skilled operator is capable of providing as good a quality tuning =
as any
    > other VTD, just as quickly, and with more information which can be
    > subjected to more in-depth analysis presented.=20
    >=20
    > Now, maybe someone out there could answer a question for me. Why =
is it
    > that in list discussions of VTDs, the big two names frequently =
come up and
    > TL97 is rarely mentioned?
   =20
    Well, my first encounter with TuneLab97 was Bob Scott's announcement =
here on the list. I downloaded a copy, played with it for a while, and =
sent in my very modest registration fee. Bob doesn't do a great deal of =
advertising, and consequently not a lot of folks know about it.
    I think one of the reasons you won't find much TuneLab discussion on =
the list is that there isn't a lot of people using it out there, =
yet.....
    Dean's program has had the benefit of several years worth of Mac =
testing and sales behind it, and consequently built up a clientele (like =
a piano tuner would!) Now that he has released it for the PC platform =
(and PC laptops are looking more and more like Powerbooks), I predict =
greater success ahead for RCT. The SAT? Well, it has also been around =
for donkey's years, proven its worth, and has a loyal following as well. =

   =20
    However, TuneLab97 has some greatness built into it, namely the =
flexibility of the program for customizing your tuning. As Frank points =
out, you need to know how to tune to use the program. You need to know =
interval checks, partial matching, (not to mention unison setting and =
hammer technique... something no VTD will set for you!) So why do you =
need it if you can already tune? A: to better understand what you are =
doing, to analyze what you are doing, and correct and change =
accordingly.=20
    I use TuneLab as just that, a tuning laboratory. I was reading =
Virgil Smith's article in the latest Journal about changes in string =
pitch while tuning unisons. After reading the article, I set out =
checking my piano with TuneLab to see how string pitches fared after =
tuning, and found that the right string in octaves 6 and 7 were .02 to =
.03 cents sharper than the other two strings in the unison in most three =
string unisons. However, correcting the right string to the same pitch =
as the other two strings left the unison sounding "wrong" (perhaps I've =
become too used to natural beats...) and when I aurally "corrected" the =
unison to where I was satisfied with the sound, the right string was =
sitting marginally sharp again.=20
   =20
    The digression above is where I find TuneLab extremely useful, as =
well as calculating stretch between notes based on my octave settings =
and building tunings around these settings. Simple? no, but than again, =
neither is trying to successfully navigate all the curves and pitfalls =
that a typical piano tuning can throw at you.=20
   =20
    OK, Frank, as for discussion, how about the inharmonicity reading? =
Do you use this to set the stretch based on the reading for one note, =
such as F3 and extrapolate outwards? I've thought of trying this, but =
haven't yet.=20
   =20
    Regards,=20
   =20