Broken Key

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 11:37:43 -0600

Hi Ralph,
             Re working some one's poor workmanship is always a challenge,
but I can offer a simple solution for a broken key. Use CA glue on the end
grain and press the break together, pre-tape the sides of the two adjacent
keys with pvc electrical tape. You can use the two keys as a guide to
ensure that you don't have a 'dog leg' joint. the tape will prevent the
keys from sticking together.
  This end grain joint will be quite weak, but will be strong enough to
allow you to glue and clamp two pieces of veneer about 3" long  and the
width of the key over the cracks, sand the veneer to have adaquate
clearance.  I use Birch veneer it's very strong,  cheap and white, it
matches the cheaper bass wood keys that seem to cause the most trouble.
Finally rebush the key, and size the B/R hole if required. You should end
up with a perfect fit every time.
Sounds a little complicated but it only take's 15-20 mins. Drying time
excluded.
Regards Roger

At 11:06 AM 14/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a client who owns an 18 year old Ivers And Pond upright  that has a
>broken key. It is broken at the balance rail hole and has been repaired by
>another person. This person glued the parts back together and glued/nailed a
>portion of white plastic keytop along one side of the key as a reinforcement.
>This "reinforcement" has cracked under the strain of playing and I am left
>with the repair job. The question is, would Weldbond be the better glue
choice
>for the repair? And would a piece of ivory keytop (of which I have some)
serve
>as an adequte reinforcement or would it be better to use thin veneer. This is
>an instrument that is in rather poor condition but it's all the family has
and
>can afford.
>
>Thanks,
>Ralph Black