Everett

Sat, 14 Nov 1998 09:05:09 -0800

Fred, Carl, et al,

At 09:41 AM 11/14/1998 -0400, you wrote:
>FRED W TREMPER wrote:
>> While tuning an older Everett vertical (no serial number but pre-Yamaha),
>> the lower run of tuning pins were loose, almost to the point of uselessness.
>
>Hi Fred,
>
>The bottom row of pins are loose because a lubricant was used to drive
>the pressure bar screws and the 'creep' was much greater than expected.
>Some pianos went back to the factory under warrantee.  Others were dealt
>with in the field using a variety of standard solutions - oversize pins,
>shims, epoxy, etc..
>
>Since the pinblock is solid, I would think that veneer or sandpaper
>shims with a new 2/0 pin might be best.  I don't remember what the
>official factory 'solution' was.
>
>Carl Root, RPT

If memory serves, the "solution" varied with the extent of the problem.
Not infrequently, this problem was coupled with one in which there was some
degree of separation/delamination of the pinblock, both internally as to
itself, and from the back.

I like Carl's suggestions a lot, and would add only that I would go
prepared to go up at least one size in tuning pin throughout the
problem area.

A technician friend who is not on the list recently asked me about this,
and I sent him what I remember of the back-repair procedure.  It's rather
lengthy, but I will post it if there is interest.

Cheers!

Horace

Horace Greeley, CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer