Have I found treasure?

GPRogers1@AOL.COM GPRogers1@AOL.COM
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 09:10:43 EST

In a message dated 11/8/98 9:19:51 PM Central Standard Time, PNOTNR@AOL.COM
writes:

<< To make a long story short, in the process of bringing all our records out
of
 storage, I found that I have a small collection of 78's.  These include: 1.
 Rubinstein w/Toscanini and the NBC Symphony, playing Beethoven Concerto #3,
2.
 Rubinstein playing Beethoven's Sonata #8 ,  3. Rubinstein playing Chopin
 Scherzos.  4. There is also a collection of Chopin's 24 Preludes (opus 28)
 played by Alfred Cortot, who is a name unfamiliar to me.  I don't know where
 got these, and frankly didn't know I owned them until today.

 I have no way to play these, but more importantly I'm wondering whether these
 recordings have any historical significance today.

 Gordon Large, RPT >>

On the radio recently, I heard of unbelievable prices for old vinyl
recordings:  from $20.00 on up to $2,000!  Unfortunately, the records that
were deemed to be this valuable were almost exclusively pop music.  It seems
that many of the "Baby Boomers" like these old pop records by artists such as
Elvis Presley and the Beatles and will pay dearly for one in its original
jacket and in good condition.

You have to find the right buyer though.  There are many strores which will
buy old records but they pay very little and also sell them fairly cheaply as
well.

I have also heard of a site on the Internet where you can sell most anything
on an "auction" basis.  People typically trade things like baseball cards.

I'll bet that somewhere, somebody would give their eye teeth for those kinds
of records but most people today prefer the convenience and clean sound of a
CD.  Many recordings of these famous artists have been reissued on CD and can
be had for as little as $2.95.  They are great for people who are just
beginning their interest in Classical music.

If I were you, I'd clean them up and enjoy what you have.  If you somehow find
someone who will pay a good price, tape record the record and get your hundred
bucks for it!  As they say, "one man's trash is another's treasure.

Greg Rogers,
St. Joseph, MO