Report on State University

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 21:46:51 -0500

Hi again,

Some of you may remember that about a year or so ago I asked if anyone had
any ideas about how to get a local State University to get serious about
getting their pianos tuned. I finally wrote some letters to various people
in their administration offering to exchange piano tuning for studies
toward my Master's degree. The director of graduate studies contacted me
and worked it out. So now I am studying and tuning their pianos. It is
counted as a "graduate assistantship". Time is at a premium right now.

Most of the ones I have worked on so far are fairly new Baldwin "Concert
Vertical" pianos. They seem to have been designed with the piano tuner in
mind - plate is molded nicely for a felt strip mute. Kent, did you have a
few words to say in the design of that one?

Wally Scherer, Piano Technician, Norfolk, Virginia, USA
Associate member of the PTG, Hampton Roads, Va. chapter
Web page: http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/2411
"Old piano tuners don't die - they just go beatless!"