strings o spinet

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:24:39 EST

In a message dated 11/10/98 4:31:17 PM Central Standard Time,
fcahill@erols.com writes:

<< Even my thinest screwdriver didn't help much.  Needless to say, the coil
 was BAD, BAD, BAD!  Has any one developed some sort of tool or technique
 for this situation?   >>

All of the responses have been excellent on this.  If, for whatever reason,
the coil needs lifting, the very thin hook made from piano wire is the tool to
use.

 When I took the training course in Steinway voicing with Scott Jones RPT in
1991, he made me, by hand, a tool from a scrap piece of fairly heavy wound
string.  He formed a tiny hook at the end of a short length of bare wire and
made a loop for a handle with the part of the string that had winding on it.
I still have this tool and use it to correct difficult coil lifting
circumstances.

You can also modify a standard string hook by grinding down the hook carefully
until it is about the diameter of some very heavy guage piano wire.  This
modified hook would naturally be fragile, so you should keep it and use it
only for tight spots.

To effectively straighten out a bad coil, loosen the string while getting your
thin screwdriver blade or hook under the leading edge of it.  Pull up the
tension as you pry with the screwdriver or lift with the hook just enough so
that there is some tone to the string but fairly far from being up to pitch.
Use a coil seater or just the same screwdriver blade and tap down the other
side of the coil so that it is fairly perpendicular.  You can then tighten the
string some more, but still below pitch and refine the coil by repeating the
above.

Make sure the beckett is tightly closed.  Sometimes a bad coil needs one or
two rough attempts at rectifying it just as a badly out of tune piano needs
repeated corrections to refine it.  There is no such thing as a tuning pin
coil which cannot be fixed!

Sincerely,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin