new/old soundboard wood

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sun, 08 Nov 1998 09:22:29 -0600

Hi Doug,

I believe that soundboards are a bit different than violins. Many sound
boards are compression crowned. This apparently leads to failure of the
board when the woods elastic limits are exceeded. Violins are *carved* into
their shape so this is not a factor.

I wonder if anyone has ever carved a piano sound board.

At 07:59 AM 11/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Date sent:      	Sun, 08 Nov 1998 01:57:07 +0000
>From:           	JOSEP PUIG <jpuig@idgrup.ibernet.com>
>To:             	list <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Subject:        	new/old soundboard wood
>Send reply to:  	pianotech@ptg.org
>
>> The question is: why is it better to replace the whole soundboard with
>> new wood rather than carefully withdraw the old one, unglue the ribs and
>> bridges and next re-dry the sb. and reglue everything into place?

>> By now, I do prefer to recrown the old sounboard (although ungluing it
>> without damage is like a nightmare) but I wish to know your opinions.
>>
>> Thank You
>>
>> Josep Puig
>>

>Josep...

>years of experience, I may have something to offer.  I have done
>some reading on qualities of old wood, specifically in reference to
>violin making.  As you know, old, seasoned violins are far more
>valuable than new ones, in part due to the fact that the tonal quality
>is enhanced by the wood's age.  I have read that this quality
>difference happens on the cellular level with wood, in that the
>"protoplasm" and "cytoplasm" in the cells turns more resinous with
>age, and therefore conducts vibrations from nearby strings and
>through the bridge more efficiently.
>
>Doug
>Oliver's Twist Piano Service
>Douglas A. Oliver, Technician