"Genuine" parts

Elian Degen degen@telcel.net.ve
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 20:20:43 -0400

Ron and List

As I said before, I also used silk thread for some time, the ones I made
with silk are still ok, the older is about 8 years, then I found a nylon
thread, and I am using nylon (I think nylon should last longer) but I used
that as an example, in reality I would like a way of making a data base with
all our experiences for all sorts of pianos and different problems

More examples
Here is a very humid climate, whatever piano it is, I had good success and
durability using Yamaha center pins, I found them of an excellent quality,
and for rebushing I am using graphite imbedded cloth .

Some days ago someone (I donīt remember who ) was mentioning Yamaha CP 80
that is an elctroacoustic piano, I remember I serviced quite a few of them,
Strings are ok but lower bass strings have a very confused sound, too many
harmonics. The piano has an Iron cast plate. Has no soundboard, Has a bridge
with pick up coils. Strings are same as a normal piano. I wandered if making
strings thinner would improve the instrument. I donīt know if any of you
worked on such an instrument.

 How about special tasks: I had to restore an old Bechstein which had
several bass strings in steel with brass wounds on it (Before Internet time)
another one was steel wound (also an old piano) In that time they refered me
to a small shop in france who did that kind of works. Venezuela is nearer to
US. for me would be ideal to find good quality suppliers over there.

The idea is if any remembers strange defined situations, which improved with
a different method to the one in the books, or specs, we can make a database
for special situations.

That is my comment

Elian

You're on one. Propose away. I use a silk suture thread to replace these.

Ron