"Ceiling Fans/False Beats

Daleboy Daleboy@aol.com
Thu, 21 May 1998 07:31:09 EDT

Dear List,
         Was tuning a console piano once....had the most incredible time
trying to just get a decent temperament much less get on to the rest of the
piano. Tried moving my head about this way and that to try to get a clearer
sound when I noticed a ceiling fan a ways away in the hallway.........hhmm!
Wondered if turning the fan off might not change this situation a bit
and.....VIOLA!
        Now this lil' monster had only the usual amount of false beats and I
got on with my day. So now I always ask my customers to have all of the fans
removed before I get there....just kiddin'!
         That little lesson has always stuck with me tho.....
Regards-n-fluttering musings,
Dale Whitehead, RPT
Franklin Piano Restorations