Wooden peg in Steinway

Arlie D. Rauch adarpub@midrivers.com
Wed, 13 May 1998 13:34:01 -0600

Dear List,

Probably this question will be simple to some, but the phenomenon was new
to me.

Yesterday I tuned Steinway grand #145029 (probably about a six footer).  I
was going to remove the action for some regulation.  But above the keyboard
end of the left leg assembly there was a wooden peg protruding about an
inch preventing action removal.

I'm sure I could have removed the peg, but I am not sure I could have done
it without damage.  So I thought, rather that cause any damage, I would ask
for veteran counsel.

What is the purpose of the peg?  How does one remove it?

This piano is in a church building and has probably never been regulated.
The action is quite uneven in response throughout.  A regulation job could
do wonders!

Thanks in advance for your always insightful suggestions.

Arlie

Arlie D. Rauch
Glendive, MT

http://members.Tripod.com/~Turbooster