Rim Repair

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Wed, 13 May 1998 15:31:29 -0400

The piano in question is a Weber grand. The piano was on its side
sometime during shipment.  This pulled a lid hinge out of the rim.

The hinge is fastened to the rim at the top and side of the rim.

The laminations in the rim are slightly separated due to the screws
being pulled out of the top of the rim.

I assume I can repair the rim by gluing and clamping.  Also, a larger
screw would be needed.

Any suggestions for glue?  I would think that I need to use a very low
viscocity glue to make sure it gets deep into the laminations. Perhaps
CA glue (thin stuff) or watered down wood glue.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Fank Cahill
Assoc Member
N. Va.