Breaking strings...

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 22:00:50 EDT

Phil,

Several thoughts

First, I generaly subscribe to Jim Harvey's "Rule of Six."  If 6 or more of
any one item breaks or is broken, then the whole set needs to be replaced.
This could potentially apply here.

Second, did the strings show particular amounts of rust?  Did you lower them
to break the rust bond at the bearing points before raising the pitch? How
much pitch correction was involved?  Several things that can have a bearing
(no pun intended) on the situation.

Third, what did the break itself look like?  Wolfenden addresses this and
describes several patterns of breakage in his book.  (I'm sure plenty of other
folks have since then and I've heard it brought up in classes by people like
Ray Chandler and Jim Ellis.)

Fourth, are you heading up to the convention?  If so, bring a sample or two
along and ask some of the folks who have a lot of experience in the field and
you'll be aat all the things you'll find out.

Hope this helps a little and look forward to seeing some of you folks from the
list next week.

Allan

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.
Calhoun, GA USA
Gilreath@aol.com

<< 'm a newbie at tuning and ran across this situation- I was tuning an
 old (1920's) Edward Mason grand with the original strings. A quarter of
 the way through, pop! broke a treble string. No problem, I need the
 practice installing strings.Then pop!, another one.
 Pop...pop...pop...all the way up to ten broken treble strings, five or
 six notes apart, before I quit.  Yes, I used liquid wrench on the vbar
 and agraffes.  My question is-  how many strings should one break before
 declaring the piano untunable and in need of a restringing or
 rebuilding.  The owner is only interested in having it "tuned."  Any
 advice?

 Phil Ryan
 Associate, PTG
 pryan2@bellsouth.net