Breaking strings...

Phil Ryan pryan2@bellsouth.net
Thu, 02 Jul 1998 21:31:29 -0400

Dear List,

I'm a newbie at tuning and ran across this situation- I was tuning an
old (1920's) Edward Mason grand with the original strings. A quarter of
the way through, pop! broke a treble string. No problem, I need the
practice installing strings.Then pop!, another one.
Pop...pop...pop...all the way up to ten broken treble strings, five or
six notes apart, before I quit.  Yes, I used liquid wrench on the vbar
and agraffes.  My question is-  how many strings should one break before
declaring the piano untunable and in need of a restringing or
rebuilding.  The owner is only interested in having it "tuned."  Any
advice?

Phil Ryan
Associate, PTG
pryan2@bellsouth.net