technology is so incredible!!!!

Carl Fischer fischerc@nevada.edu
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:01:11 +0000

>Susan Kline wrote:
>
>> Speaking of which, how long before pianists can get a thin, flat
>> liquid crystal monitor, which will store all their music, so they
>> don't have to turn pages? It can be a terrible mess for them.
>>
>> I could foresee the day when he or she would just tap the left side of the
>> lyre with their left foot and -- zip -- the next two pages appear. Tap
>> a place further up, and -- zip -- the previous two pages reappear, (just
>> in case he or she overdid it).
>
>Already done! The Van Kovering (sp?) digitals have just that, a LCD
>flat display on the music rack with staff notation. And yes, I
>believe the left pedal turns the pages (where's the hollow knocking
>sound on the soundboard? 8-)
>
>Just trying to keep up with the juggernaut of technology....
>

>Rob Kiddell,
>Registered Piano Technician, PTG
>atonal@planet.eon.net

See, it can be done! But not good enough!! They need one for _good_, _REAL_
pianos! One that can be moved from one instrument to another.

But thanks for the info.

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

Dear Susan,

Technology has already done what you've asked.  The answer you seek lies in a
Macintosh powerbook 2400c or 3400c (http://www.wcn.com and
http://www.macbase.com have unbelievable prices on the powerbooks) with
"performer" software from MOTU (mark of the unicorn) http://www.motu.com

Not only does sheet music appear on your lcd screen (automatically scrolls as
you play), it reads any SMF (standard midi file) found on the internet.  And
just about any music you could dream of is available on these midi web sites
for free.  Say good-bye to sheet music costs.  Technology is absolutely
incredible!!!!  Beethoven, Chopin, Mozart, they all have their own web sites
with every song they ever wrote available in SMF format FOR FREE!!!!

Happy Surfing,

Carl Fischer, RPT
UNLV Piano Shop
Las Vegas, Nevada

W-702/895-0931

mailto:mrcarl@writeme.com

"Great people talk about IDEAS, Average people talk about THINGS, Small people
talk about OTHER PEOPLE."